Marine Mammals of Cannery Row ~80 adults, $60 for youth 13-17 years old
From Cannery Row, kayak the scenic Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary. We'll search the flourishing kelp beds for marine mammals such as sea otters, harbor seals and sea lions. Mid January is historically the height of Gray whale migration as they relocate from their Alaskan feeding grounds to the calving lagoons of Baja. These iconic whales are known to pass close to Cannery Row during their southbound migration.
T0 REGISTER: PLEEASE VISIT OUR ONLINE CALENDAR
We are excited to offer a rich kayaking experience as we explore Monterey Bay National National Marine Sanctuary. Encompassing 5322 square miles of ocean, Monterey Bay supports one of the planet's most biologically diverse ecosystems. Our day on the water will take us above the canopy of a kelp forest as we look for some of its residents such as sea otters, harbor seals, sea lions and sea birds. While gray whale sightings are not guaranteed, chances are good in January.
As far as things to bring, here are a few suggestions I can offer:
* Dress in layers -- Fleece, capilene, silk or wool are good insulators; bring a warm top that can be put on if cool weather (fog) approaches; no cotton as it does not keep you warm when wet
* Wind breaker or paddling jacket
* Footgear - tennis shoes, Teva type sandals or wet suit booties -- any style is fine; they will get wet as you wade in to launch your boat.
* Hat with visor for sun protection
* Water bottle
* lunch in a compact lunch bag take in boat with you
* Sunscreen and lip balm
* Sun glasses (or prescription glasses) attached with a leash
* Binoculars and camera in waterproof bag ( use at your own risk);
* Small, compact day pack (optional)
* Change of clothes for ride home to be left in car
That covers the logistics for your Marine Mammals of Cannery Row program/ A full refund will be given if the trip is cancelled due to inclement weather ( high winds or rain; not light mist or fog). Release forms will be discussed and signed before launching our boats. We are looking forward to our adventure together on the water! ! Refunds are given when cancellations are made at least 10 days in advance of trip date.
We are excited to share time on the water with you!