Currents to the Coast and Early Dinner Elkhorn Slough: November 23rd 10:00am-4:00pm $80
Come ride the tide from Kirby Park to the Coast! A steady ebb flow will carry us past slumbering seals and sea otters as we make our way to North Moss Landing Harbor. This is another great trip for beginners and/or those who enjoy wildlife sightings. We'll stop for an early dinner at the Sea Harvest Restaurant in North Moss landing Harbor($15 van shuttle included; dinner on own and is optional).
Welcome to our Elkhorn Slough Full Slough Adventure
We plan to meet at North Moss Landing Harbor (behind Monterey Bay Kayaks 2360 Highway One) at 10:00am am on November 23rd. We will leave our cars at the Harbor and take the shuttle over to Kirby Park where our boats will be ready to go. Our cars will be left where we end the day allowing us to kayak to an early dinner at the Sea Harvest Restaurant in North Moss Landing Harbor. Our cars are left at the harbor where the restaurant is located so the meal time is optional. Our day will end while enjoying views over the water from the veranda of the Sea Harvest.
Our group will gather behind Monterey Bay Kayaks and in front of the brown bathroom facilities. You will need to purhcase a $6 parking ticket. The shuttle van will meet our group and transfer us to Kirby Park where our kayaks will be waiting.
To confirm your place on this trip, please send a check in the amount of $80 made payable to Blue Water Ventures to: 127 Mason Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95060. The fee covers your guided kayaking trip and shuttle, dinner is on your own. Refunds are given when cancellations are made at least 14 days in advance of trip date.
You may also pay for the trip using a Card Credit via Pay Pal. Please visit our Payment Center for instructions.
With a steady ebb flow we'll ride the tide towards the coast ending our kayaking adventure in North Moss Landing Harbor. An abundance of wildlife will be seen including migratory birds working the extensive mud-flats, harbor seals hauling out and sea otters.
The Sea Harvest Restaurant is known for it's fresh seafood at moderate prices and is located on the shores of the harbor. Please be sure to bring small bills to help settle the check. Dinner plates average $10-15.
As far as things to bring, here are a few suggestions I can offer:
* Dress in layers-- Fleece, capilene, silk or wool are good insulators; bring a warm top that can be put on if cool weather (fog) approaches; a sweatshirt is adequate.
* Long Pants - sweat pants that can be rolled up work well; an outer shell of nylon material works well as it dries quickly, but jeans get soggy and are not recommended.
* Windbreaker or paddling jacket
* Footgear - tennis shoes, Teva type sandals or wet suit booties -- any style is OK but they will get wet as we launch
* Hat for sun protection
* Sun glasses with leash
* Sunscreen and lip balm
* Water bottle and a snack (we may not sit down at the restaurant until 3:00pm)
* Money for early dinner (please bring small bills to help settle bill)
* Binoculars and camera in waterproof dry bag, use at your own risk
* Paddling gloves (optional)
* Change of clothes for ride home
That covers the logistics for our Kayaking Adventure. A full refund will be given if the trip is canceled due to inclement weather ( rain or wind; not light fog or mist). Release forms will be discussed and signed before we launch.
I am looking forward to our adventure together in the Slough!
Kim Powell, MRPA
Owner, Operator & Naturalist
Blue Water Ventures
phone & fax: 831-459-8548
127 Mason St., Santa Cruz, CA 95060
DIRECTIONS TO ELKHORN SLOUGH: NORTH MOSS LANDING HARBOR
FROM SANTA CRUZ
* TAKE HIGHWAY 1 SOUTH TOWARDS MONTEREY
* TURN RIGHT AT BAJA POTTERY/ MONTEREY BAY KAYAKS
The public boat launch area is behind Monterey Bay Kayaks (2360 Highway One); park behind MBK in the public boat launch area. When you arrive, you will need to pay your $6 parking fee. Your Blue Water Ventures guides will have your parking permits to leave in your car. You will need $6 in dollars or coins when you check in with them.
We will be unloading the trailer from a blue toyota sequoia at the boat ramp directly behind Monterey Bay Kayaks in North Moss Landing Harbor.
You will pass Moss Landing State Beach, then Kayak Connection; it takes about 30 minutes from Santa Cruz; this right turn takes you into Moss Landing North Harbor.
* MOSS LANDING NORTH HARBOR LAUNCH RAMP
as you're heading south you'll see the Moss Landing power stacks on the left side of the highway; if you go over the bridge and pass these stacks you've gone too far.
* On the morning of the trip, Kim can be reached on her cell phone at (831) 345-2417*