Extreme Tidepooling & Seafood Forage For Women: December 7th 2:00pm-6:00pm $48 with wetsuit; $40 if you bring your own.
Hope you can join us for a day of exploring the rocky intertidal coast. We'll gather for coffee at the Whale City Bakery in Davenport Landing (10 minutes north of Santa Cruz). From there, we'll caravan to Davenport Landing to join a Blue Water naturalist as we explore the tidepools. Wetsuits are recommended to really "experience" the coast. We'll harvest some mussels to cook right on the beach using a gourmet recipe while the sunsets over the water. Group size is limited to 16.
" The tidepool outing is a real keeper - such amazing diversity and beauty - thank you for sharing your knowledge and enthusiasm with us! Eating mussels freshly foraged from the ocean & prepared right on the beach (with all the gourmet fixins) was a sensory delight!" Ruth Krantz
Welcome to our Extreme Tidepooling and Seafood Forage:
Our day will involve exploring the dynamic rocky shore habitat at Davenport Landing with a naturalist. The Central California Coast contains some of the most diverse intertidal areas in the world! We will help you understand the intricate adaptations of tidepool inhabitants such as sea anemones, sea stars, kelp crabs and cling fish. A minus tide allows us to explore some areas that are only accessible during low tides. We refer to this experience as Extreme Tidepooling as we offer opportunities to see nooks and crannies and sea creatures that require getting wet.
Our group will meet at the Whale City Bakery, 490 Highway One Davenport, California 95060 at 2:00pm on December 7th. The Bakery is on the right as your heading north and is near Ocean Street. Davenport is about 15 minutes north of Santa Cruz on Highway One. After coffee and pastries, we will we will caravan a short distance to Davenport Landing (one mile north of the Bakery). My cell phone is: 831-345-2417 and the Bakery's number is: 831-423-9803 (coffee and pastries are not included in the price).
To confirm your place on this trip, please send a check in the amount of $40 (or $48 if you would like to rent a wetsuit) made payable to Blue Water Ventures to: 127 Mason Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95060. Wetsuits are not mandatory but we encourage you to use one to fully participate in our program as you " follow the leader ".
You may also pay for the trip using a Card Credit via Pay Pal. Please visit our Payment Centerfor instructions.
We plan on collecting a few mussels to sample--this will not be a full course meal! However, we will provide the fixings for mussels and will prepare them on the beach after we tidepool (weather permitting). We will harvest in an area where our impact will be low (we have discussed this with several marine biologist who agree that this is an appropriate area). Your guides will have the collecting permit needed for this activity. You can bring your favorite adult beverage, leave it in the car and then fetch it as we cook up the mussels.
As far as things to bring, here are a few suggestions I can offer:
* Wetsuit recommended--you may change into one at the beach (bathing suit or underwear are fine underneath); you may rent a FarmerJohn style wetsuit from us for $8
* Dress in layers on top -- Fleece, capilene, silk or wool are good insulators; bring a warm top that can be put on if cool weather (fog) approaches; Several warm layers are recommended.
* Long pants: fleece or sweat pants with an a outer shell of nylon material or rain pants if you are not wearing a wetsuit
* Rain jacket/pants -- we will hike in light rain
* Footgear for tidepooling - tennis shoes, Teva type sandals or wet suit booties -- any style is fine as along as they have tread; shoes may get wet as we tidepool; bring an extra pair of tennis shoes and warm socks for afterwards to leave in car
* Hat with visor for sun protection
* Water bottle, snack
* Beverage and snack to enjoy while the mussels are cooking; you may bring something to share with group if you would like too
* Beach chair, towel and/or blanket
* Sunscreen and lip balm
* Sun glasses
* Binoculars and camera-- we will have dry bags for use
* Change of clothes (you may want to change into them after we tidepool and while the mussels are cooking ).
That covers the logistics for Our Extreme Tidepooling and Seafood Forage for Women. A full refund will be given if the trip is cancelled due to inclement weather (unsafe sea conditions; not light rain or fog). Release forms will be discussed and signed at the Bakery before we depart.
We are looking forward to our adventure together at Davenport Landing!
Kim Powell, MRPA
Owner, Operator and Naturalist
Blue Water Ventures
phone & fax: 831-459-8548
127 Mason St., Santa Cruz, CA 95060
DIRECTIONS and TIMING:
The Whale City Bakery is located at: 490 Hwy 1 Davenport, California 95060 about 12 miles north of Santa Cruz. It is right off of Highway One in the quaint town of Davenport. The Arros Deli and US Post Office is a block to the north and the Road House Cafe is a few structures south.
We will be at the Bakery from 2:00pm-2:30pm.
Davenport Landing is less than one mile north of Davenport town on Highway One; turn off is at the bottom of a small hill; park near the bathrooms and entrance to the beach; Most of our tidepooling will be done to the north (right on the beach). Our day finishes up around 6:00pm as long as the weather is agreeable.