Full Moon Paddle, Picnic & Tidepooling in Pillar Point Harbor (Half Moon Bay area) Beginners Welcomed $78
Join the naturalist of Blue Water Ventures for a great day on the water. Launching from Pillar Point Harbor, we'll have a leisurely paddle through the protected and scenic harbor. Cormorants, pelicans, terns and harbor seals join us for our afternoon paddle. Across the harbor we can explore the exceptionally rich intertidal world at a low tide and have a picnic before paddling back. Fall sunsets and moon rises can really be spectacular when experienced from a kayak! Great trip for beginners and those interested in coastal ecology.
I would like to welcome you to our Full Moon Paddle, Picnic and Tidepooling event in Pillar Point Harbor.
Pillar Point Harbor offers a protected bay for kayaking and easy access to the superb tide pools adjacent to Fitzgerald Marine Reserve.
To confirm your place on this trip, please send a check in the amount of $78 made payable to Blue Water Ventures to: 127 Mason Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95060. Refunds are given when cancellations are made at least 14 days in advance of trip date.
You may also pay for the trip using a Card Credit via Pay Pal. Please visit our Payment Center for instructions.
On your kayaking trip, our coast will experience an afternoon low tide so please join our naturalists as we explore this remarkable intertidal zone. Tandem style closed deck sea kayaks are used which are very stable and easy to paddle. We will be stopping on shore for a picnic and tidepooling so bring something to snack on. This trip is appropiate for beginners and/or people intrigued by the natural history of our coast.
Plan on meeting at the Pillar Point Public Launch Ramp in El Granada, just a few miles north of Half Moon Bay at (time varies with tides; our naturalist-led program runs about 5 houurs from beginning to end).
From Highway 92 in Half Moon Bay, head north on Highway One and take a left onto Capistrano Road which is across the street from the Monster Chef Restaurant (10151 Cabrillo Hwy N in El Granada). Take your first left into Pillar Point Harbor and continue straight through one stop sign to the public launch area at the very end of the road. You will pass by the Half Moon Bay Kayak Company on the right, continue until you reach the end of the road where there is a bathroom facility and launch area. You may check in with us first and then park your car on the bluffs above the harbor in the public parking area for boaters. Be sure to park in a space designated for car rather than a car~trailer combination.
As far as things to bring, here are a few suggestions I can offer:
* Dress in layers -- medium-rated fleece, capilene, or wool are good insulators; bring a warm top that can be put on as evening approaches; a thin layer of capilene or silk long sleeve underwear are a nice addition, but any longsleeve undershirt will do.
* Long pants -- quick drying nylon or fleece work well; you will be in a closed deck boats and will stay pretty dry ; sweat pants are ok too.
* Wind breaker or paddling jacket
* Footgear - tennis shoes, Teva type sandals or wet suit booties -- any style is fine; they will get wet or sandy as we launch
* Pair of gloves--paddling gloves or pair of fleece gloves (optional)
* Fleece or wool cap
* Sun glasses (or prescription glasses) attached with a leash
* Binoculars and camera in waterproof bag (use at your own risk)
* Water bottle
* Snacks or " dinner" for our picnic on shore
* Flashlight or headlamp
* Change of clothes for ride home
That covers the logistics for our Kayaking Adventure! Release forms will be discussed and signed before we launch or you may download, print and sign here: waiver and bring with you.
Kim Powell, MRPA
Owner, Operator & Naturalist
Blue Water Ventures
phone & fax: 831-459-8548
127 Mason St., Santa Cruz, CA 95060
Follow us on Facebook or our Nature News Blog Site