Women's Valentine's Day Paddle and the Love Life of Sea Creatures~ Pillar Point Harbor (near Half Moon Bay)
February 15th 10:00am-3:00pm
Join the naturalist of Blue Water Ventures and Betty's List for a great day on the water! Launching from Pillar Point Harbor near Half Moon Bay. we'll have a leisurely kayak trip through the protected and scenic harbor. Cormorants, pelicans, terns and harbor seals join us for our morning paddle. Great trip for beginners and those interested in coastal ecology. We plan to include a tidepooling excursion with special emphasis on the mating rituals of sea creatures. Singles and couples welcomed to join us on our Valentines Day Paddle.
We would like to welcome you to our Pillar Point Harbor By Kayak with Blue Water Ventures.
Pillar Point Harbor offers a protected bay for kayaking and beach combing along Maverick's Beach adjacent to Fitzgerald Marine Reserve.
Early Bird Special of $90 per person if booked by January 31st
$98 per person if booked February 1st or beyond
T0 REGISTER: PLEASE VISIT OUR ONLINE CALENDAR
Refunds are given when cancellations are made at least 10 days in advance of trip date. This amount includes a naturalist-led kayaking trip and guided beach hike
Tandem style closed deck sea kayaks are used which are very stable and easy to paddle.
This trip is appropriate for beginners and/or women intrigued by the natural history of our coast.
Plan on meeting at the Pillar Point Public Launch Ramp in El Granada, just a few miles north of Half Moon Bay at 10:00am on February 15th. We will be off the water by 3:00pm so bring a picnic lunch to enjoy on the beach after exploring the tidepools.
From Highway 92 in Half Moon Bay, head north on Highway One and take a left onto Capistrano Road which is across the street from Half Moon Bay Sushi (10151 Cabrillo Hwy N in El Granada). Take your first left into Pillar Point Harbor and continue straight through one stop sign to the public launch area at the very end of the road. You will pass by the Half Moon Bay Kayak Company on the right, continue until you reach the end of the road where there is a bathroom facility and launch area. You may check in with us first and then park your car on the bluffs above the harbor in the public parking area for boaters. Be sure to park in a space designated for car rather than a car~trailer combination.
As far as things to bring, here are a few suggestions I can offer:
* Dress in layers -- medium-rated fleece, capilene, or wool are good insulators; bring a warm top that can be put on as evening approaches; a thin layer of capilene or silk long sleeve underwear are a nice addition, but any long sleeve undershirt will do.
* Long pants -- quick drying nylon shorts or sweat pants work well; you will be in a closed deck boats and will stay pretty dry
* Wind breaker or paddling jacket
* Footgear - tennis shoes, Teva type sandals or wet suit booties -- any style is fine; they will get wet or sandy as we launch
* Pair of gloves--paddling gloves (optional)
* Sun glasses (or prescription glasses) attached with a leash
* Binoculars and camera in waterproof bag (use at your own risk)
* Water bottle
* Snacks and a lunch- take in boat with you
* Change of clothes for ride home
That covers the logistics for our Kayaking Adventure! Release forms will be discussed and signed before we launch
or you may download, print and sign here: waiver and bring with you.
Kim Powell, MRPA
Owner, Operator & Naturalist
Blue Water Ventures
phone & fax: 831-459-8548
127 Mason St., Santa Cruz, CA 95060