Humpback Whales, Seals and Sea Otter Watch By Kayak~ Moss Landing:
May 19th 8:00am-12:30pm $80
T0 REGISTER: PLEASE VISIT OUR ONLINE CALENDAR
Join Blue Water Ventures for an incredible day on the water. Our plan is to meet and paddle through the clam water of North Moss Landing Harbor. If conditions permit, we will paddle off shore in search of Humpback Whales and other wildlife of Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary. The location of Humpback Whales are hard to predict on any given day, but they have been very close to shore over the last few months.
We reserve the right to change our plan on the morning of the trip as well as refund a participant who we feel is not well suited for this level of kayaking. On the morning of the trip, we may decide to observe wildlife in Moss Landing Harbor and Elkhorn Slough rather than kayak offshore if we feel that conditions are not acceptable to paddle in the bay. No first time kayakers permitted on this more advance level paddle. Participants need to be comfortable with following instructions while in open ocean, swell and wind chop.
* Ages 14 and above when accompanied by parent or legal guardian in kayak *
Looking for a place to stay? Here are a few suggestions: Places to Stay
We will maintain a distance from whales and other wildlife but sometimes they approach us. We can not predict their behavior or location nor guarentee viewing. Look through our facebook page for a whale of a time at: BWVFACEBOOK
After scouting for whales, we will observe the marine mammals residing in the upper harbor area. Birding is excellent with many species arriving into this rich wetlands to feast in the mudflats. Our trip will begin or end with a quiet observation of sea otters and harbor seals that reside in Moss Landing Harbor. For the variety of wildlife encounters, this combination of kayaking experiences can not be beat!
Dear Sea Kayakers:
I would like to welcome you to our kayaking adventure in Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary. Coastal California is an ideal place to observe some of the nation's finest coastal resources. Sea otters, harbor seals, sea lions and an array of birds can be seen at close range.
For the last few months, Humpback Whales have been cruising Monterey Bay from the edges of our famous submarine canyon to our local residential neighborhoods. Its been simply an incredible few months of wildlife viewing and we look forward to sharing the wonders and wildlife of Monterey Bay with you. Whales can be difficult to spot from a kayak, but the bay is so rich now that we will paddle among other species if not whales. We have seen some of our best whale activity in the morning.
More questions? Please contact: Kim Powell at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Plan on meeting at the public boat launch ramp in North Moss Landing Harbor just behind Monterey Bay Kayaks (2360 Hwy One) at 8:00am
We will be using double sea kayaks which are very stable and easy to use.
Some kayaking experience is required and paddlers should feel comfortable in open water conditions, wind chop and swell.
We expect to be back at the launch area by noon and wrapping up by 12:30pm.
As far as things to bring, here are a few suggestions I can offer:
* Dress in layers -- Fleece, capilene, silk or wool are good insulators; bring a warm top that can be put on if cool weather (fog) approaches; a sweatshirt is adequate.
* Long pants or shorts- sweat pants that can be rolled up work well; an outer shell of nylon material dries quickly, but jeans get soggy and are not recommended.
* Wind breaker or paddling jacket
* Footgear - tennis shoes, Teva type sandals or wet suit booties -- any style is fine; they will get wet as you wade in to launch your boat.
* Hat with visor for sun protection
* Water bottle
* Lunch or snack in a compact lunch bag --take in boat with you
* Sunscreen and lip balm
* Sun glasses (or prescription glasses) attached with a leash
* Binoculars and camera in waterproof bag ( use at your own risk); disposable cameras work well.
* Small, compact daypack (optional)
* Change of clothes for ride home to be left in car
* Sea Sickness Medication if you are prone to sea sickness, we recommend taking some form of prevention. Your local pharmacist or physician can give you advice. Bonine taken the night before has worked for many. Drowsiness or thirst can be a side effect. Some clients have used Sea Bands which employ a pressure point on the wrists rather than medication. Sea bands have no side effects and can be purchased at most dive shops.
That covers the logistics for your Humpback Whales, Seals and Sea Otter Watch by Kayak! A full refund will be given if the trip is cancelled due to inclement weather ( high winds or rain; not light mist or fog). Release forms will be discussed and signed before launching our boats. We are looking forward to our adventure together in Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary.
Kim Powell, MRPA
Owner, Operator & Naturalist
Blue Water Ventures
phone & fax: 831-459-8548
127 Mason St., Santa Cruz, CA 95060
Follow us on Facebook!
DIRECTIONS TO ELKHORN SLOUGH (NORTH MOSS LANDING HARBOR)
FROM SANTA CRUZ
* TAKE HIGHWAY 1 SOUTH TOWARDS MONTEREY
* TURN RIGHT AT BAJA POTTERY/ MONTEREY BAY KAYAK 2360 HIGHWAY ONE
you will pass Moss Landing State Beach, then Kayak Connection; it takes about 30 minutes from Santa Cruz; this right turn takes you into Moss Landing North Harbor.
* MOSS LANDING NORTH HARBOR LAUNCH RAMP
The public boat launch area is behind Monterey Bay Kayaks (2360 Highway One); park behind MBK in the public boat launch area. When you arrive, you will need to pay your $8 parking fee. Your Blue Water Ventures guides will have your parking permits to leave in your car. You will need $8 when you check in with them.
We will be unloading the trailer from a black toyota sequoia at the boat ramp directly behind Monterey Bay Kayaks in North Moss Landing Harbor.
as you're heading south you'll see the Moss Landing power stacks on the left side of the highway; if you go over the bridge and pass these stacks you've gone too far.
Kim can be reached on her cell phone on the day of the trip at: 831-345-2417