Women's Seals and and Sea Otter Watch ~Elkhorn Slough by Kayak: October 7th 9:30-1:30pm $68
Join Blue Water Ventures for a day in Elhorn Slough. October is a lovely time to experience the wildlife of the Slough during bird migration and lots of marine mammals around. Leaving from Moss Landing, we'll have a leisurely paddle through Elkhorn Slough. Birding is excellent with many species arriving into the slough to feast in the mudflats. Our trip will begin with a quiet observation of sea otters. sea lions and migratory birds that reside in Moss Landing Harbor. Beginners welcomed.
Dear Sea Kayakers:
I would like to welcome you to our kayaking adventure in Elkhorn Slough National Marine Estuary. The protected water of the Slough is an ideal place to observe some of California's finest coastal resources. Sea otters, harbor seals, sea lions and an array of birds can be seen at close range. With 90% of California's wetlands loss to development, Elkhorn Slough offers a special opportunity to observe a biologically rich and critically endangered habitat.
For more details and to register contact Kim Powell at: email@example.com
Make it a two day adventure and join us whale watching on October 8th aboard Sanctuary Cruises
Join us for both days for a discounted rate of $118
To confirm your place on this trip, please send a check in the amount of $68 for Elkhorn Slough Kayaking only or $118 for both days made payable to Blue Water Ventures to: 127 Mason Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95060. If paying by check or via pay pal, refunds are given when cancellations are made at least 10 days in advance of trip date (for kayaking portion only).
You may also pay for the trip using a Card Credit via Pay Pal. Please visit our Payment Centerfor instructions.
Looking for a place to stay? Here are a few suggestions: Places to Stay
Plan on meeting at the public boat launch ramp in North Moss Landing Harbor just behind Monterey Bay Kayaks (2390 Hwy One) at 9:30am on
October 7th. We will be using double sea kayaks which are very stable and easy to use. No previous kayaking experience is necessary.
We expect to be back at the launch area by 1:30pm and wrapping up by 2:00pm.
As far as things to bring, here are a few suggestions I can offer:
* Dress in layers -- Fleece, capilene, silk or wool are good insulators; bring a warm top that can be put on if cool weather (fog) approaches; a sweatshirt is adequate.
* Long pants or shorts- sweat pants that can be rolled up work well; an outer shell of nylon material dries quickly, but jeans get soggy and are not recommended.
* Wind breaker or paddling jacket
* Footgear - tennis shoes, Teva type sandals or wet suit booties -- any style is fine; they will get wet as you wade in to launch your boat.
* Hat with visor for sun protection
* Water bottle
* Lunch in a compact lunch bag, take in boat with you
* Sunscreen and lip balm
* Sun glasses (or prescription glasses) attached with a leash
* Binoculars and camera in waterproof bag ( use at your own risk); disposable cameras work well.
* Small, compact daypack (optional)
* Change of clothes for ride home to be left in car
That covers the logistics for your Seals and Sea Otter Watch for Women! A full refund will be given if the trip is cancelled due to inclement weather ( high winds or rain; not light mist or fog). Release forms will be discussed and signed before launching our boats. We are looking forward to our adventure together in the Slough!
Kim Powell, MRPA
Owner, Operator & Naturalist
Blue Water Ventures
phone & fax: 831-459-8548
127 Mason St., Santa Cruz, CA 95060
DIRECTIONS TO ELKHORN SLOUGH (NORTH MOSS LANDING HARBOR)
FROM SANTA CRUZ
* TAKE HIGHWAY 1 SOUTH TOWARDS MONTEREY
* TURN RIGHT AT BAJA POTTERY/ MONTEREY BAY KAYAKS 2360 HIGHWAY ONE
you will pass Moss Landing State Beach, then Kayak Connection; it takes about 30 minutes from Santa Cruz; this right turn takes you into Moss Landing North Harbor.
* MOSS LANDING NORTH HARBOR LAUNCH RAMP
The public boat launch area is behind Monterey Bay Kayaks (2360 Highway One); park behind MBK in the public boat launch area. When you arrive, you will need to pay your $8 parking fee. Your Blue Water Ventures guides will have your parking permits to leave in your car. You will need 8 dollars when you check in with them.
We will be unloading the trailer from a blue toyota sequoia at the boat ramp directly behind Monterey Bay Kayaks in North Moss Landing Harbor.
as you're heading south you'll see the Moss Landing power stacks on the left side of the highway; if you go over the bridge and pass these stacks you've gone too far.
Kim can be reached on her cell phone on the day of the trip at: 831-345-2417