Kayak Skills and Safety Clinic for Families, Elkhorn Slough 10:00am-4:00pm June 12th
Sea Kayaking skills, safety, assisted and self rescues are taught during this fun and wet day! Class size limited to 6 people. Certificate cards issued upon completion of course
Dear Sea Kayakers:
Welcome to KSS, an introductory Kayaking Skills and Safety Class designed for families (ages 11 and up). We are delighted to teach all ages the paddling and safety skills needed to sea kayak in our area. The central California coast offers a tremendous variety of marine resources to explore by kayak. The skills that you develop in this preliminary class will provide a solid foundation as you begin to explore our incredible coastal waters.
We will meet at the public boat launch ramp in North Moss Landing Harbor just behind Monterey Bay Kayaks (2390 Hwy One) at 10:00am. We'll make a stop for lunch and be back on land by 3:30-4:00pm.
To confirm your place on this trip, please send a check in the amount of $95 adults/ $65 children made payable to Blue Water Ventures to 108 Mason Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95060. You may also pay for the class using a Card Credit via Pay Pal. Please visit our secure online Payment Center for instructions.
The format for this class includes an introduction to sea kayaking beginning with boat design and equipment used. On land, we discuss basic strokes and what is meant by a 'wet exit'. The morning is spent working on strokes, we break for lunch and then spend the afternoon demonstrating and practicing rescues. You will be submerged in the water for several minutes during each rescue so the following suggestions of clothing are essential for your comfort and safety:
* Dress in layers -- a fleece, silk or capilene top is required; no cotton; bring either one medium rated top or two lightweight , long underwear fleece, silk orcapilene tops
* Bathing Suit-- arrive with it on
* Windbreaker or paddling jacket
* Footgear - wet suit booties are preferred or sandals with straps with a pair of fleece socks i.e. Teva style sandals
* Hat with visor - for sun protection
* Fleece ski cap or beanie -- we have a few extras to loan if you don't own one yourself
* Sun glasses with leash
* Sunscreen and lip balm
* Lunch and water bottle
* Change of clothes for ride home
* Beach towel- for after class
That covers the logistics for your Kayak Skills and Safety Class! Refunds are given when cancellations are made at least 14 days in advance of trip date. A full refund will be given if the trip is canceled due to inclement weather ( rain or wind; not light fog or mist). Release forms will be discussed and signed before we launch.
I look forward to seeing you on the water!
Blue Water Ventures
DIRECTIONS TO ELKHORN SLOUGH
MOSS LANDING NORTH HARBOR
FROM SANTA CRUZ
* TAKE HIGHWAY 1 SOUTH TOWARDS MONTEREY
* TURN RIGHT AT BAJA POTTERY/ MONTEREY BAY KAYAKS
you will pass Moss Landing State Beach, then Kayak Connection; it takes about 30 minutes from Santa Cruz; this right turn takes you into Moss Landing North Harbor.
* MOSS LANDING NORTH HARBOR LAUNCH RAMP
The public boat launch area is behind Monterey Bay Kayaks (2390 Highway One); park behind MBK in the public boat launch area ($5 to park; look for dispensers at bathrooms-use exact ). We will be unloading gear on the beach to the left of the boat ramp.
as you're heading south you'll see the Moss Landing power stacks on the left side of the highway; if you go over the bridge and pass these stacks you've gone too far.
* On the morning of the trip, Kim can be reached on her cell phone at (831) 345-2417*
* Great stop after your trip: Sea Harvest Restaurant or Phil's Seafood in Moss Landing!