Swim Home Back to Field Trips Blue Water News Facebook! Summer Camps Waiver T-Shirts/ Kayaks For Sale!! Contact Us
Dear Students, Teachers and Parents:
I would like to welcome you to our kayaking adventure in Elkhorn Slough National Marine Estuary. The protected water of the slough is an ideal place to observe some of California’s finest coastal resources. Sea otters, harbor seals and an array of birds can be seen at close range. With 90% of California's wetlands loss to development, Elkhorn Slough offers a special opportunity to observe a biologically rich and critically endangered habitat. Teachers, please feel free to give me a call to discuss specific topics you would like to have covered.
We will meet at the public boat launch ramp in North Moss Landing Harbor just behind Monterey Bay Kayaks (2390 Hwy One) at 9:30am on _________. We will be using double sea kayaks, which are very stable and easy to use. No previous kayaking experience is necessary. We'll make a stop for lunch and be back on land by 2:00pm.
The cost of your field trip is $40 per person weekdays with one teacher chaperone joining us for no charge or $48 per person weekends. Please send one check (either from the school or teacher chaperone) one week before your trip dates to: BWV, 127 Mason Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95060.
A completed waiver is required by all kayakers and for your convenience here is a more Printable Version .
As far as things to bring, here are a few suggestions I can offer:
* Dress in layers -- Fleece, capilene, silk or wool are good insulators; bring a warm top that can be put on if cool weather (fog) approaches; a sweatshirt is adequate.
* Long pants - sweat pants that can be rolled up work well; nylon material dries quickly, and is good , but jeans get soggy and are not recommended.
* Wind breaker or paddling jacket
* Footgear - tennis shoes, Teva type sandals or wet suit booties -- any style is fine; they will get wet as you wade into the water to launch your boat
* Hat with visor for sun protection
* Water bottle
* Lunch in a compact lunch bag --take in boat with you; include a snack that’s easy to get too
* Sunscreen and lip balm
* Sun glasses (or prescription glasses) attached with a leash
* Binoculars and camera in waterproof bag ( use at your own risk); disposable cameras Work well.
* Small, compact day pack (optional)
* Change of clothes for ride home to be left in car
That covers the logistics for our Elkhorn Slough Adventure! Any additional people may pay cash on the day of trip. A full refund will be given if the trip is cancelled due to inclement weather (high winds or rain; not light mist or fog). Please have parents read and sign the waiver and bring them with you. I am looking forward to our adventure together in the Slough!
Kim Powell, MRPA
Owner, Operator & Naturalist
Blue Water Ventures
phone & fax: 831-459-8548
127 Mason St., Santa Cruz, CA 95060
Follow us on Facebook or our Nature News Blog Site
DIRECTIONS TO ELKHORN SLOUGH (NORTH MOSS LANDING HARBOR)
FROM SANTA CRUZ
* TAKE HIGHWAY 1 SOUTH TOWARDS MONTEREY
* TURN RIGHT AT BAJA POTTERY/ MONTEREY BAY KAYAKS
you will pass Moss Landing State Beach(Jetty Road), then Kayak Connection; it takes about 30 minutes from Santa Cruz; this right turn takes you into Moss Landing North Harbor.
* MOSS LANDING NORTH HARBOR LAUNCH RAMP
The public boat launch area is behind Monterey Bay Kayaks (2360 Highway One); park behind MBK in the public boat launch area. When you arrive, you will need to pay your $8 parking fee. Your Blue Water Ventures guides will have your parking permits to leave in your car. You will need $8 cash when you check in with them.
We will be unloading the trailer from a blue toyota sequoia at the boat ramp directly behind Monterey Bay Kayaks in North Moss Landing Harbor.
as you're heading south you'll see the Moss Landing power stacks on the left side of the highway; if you go over the bridge and pass these stacks you've gone too far.
Kim can be reached on her cell phone on the day of the trip at: 831-345-2417