Seals and Sea Otter Pups of Elkhorn Slough By Kayak for Women
June 28th 9:30am-1:30pm
Fundraiser for Kim's Mom, "Bear" as she recovers from major surgery
Suggested Donation $78
Join Blue Water Ventures for a day in Elkhorn Slough. Spring is an exciting time to experience the wildlife of the Slough when baby harbor seals and sea otters are found. Leaving from Moss Landing, we'll have a leisurely paddle through Elkhorn Slough. Birding is excellent with many species arriving into the slough to feast in the mudflats. Our trip will begin with a quiet observation of a raft of sea otters that reside in Moss Landing Harbor. Beginners welcomed.
T0 REGISTER: PLEASE VISIT OUR ONLINE CALENDAR
Let's get Bear back on the courts!
Dear Sea Kayakers:
Thank you so much for supporting our mother known to many as "Bear" during her surgery and recovery.
Our mother has dedicated her life to my brother Michael and I. I am grateful beyond expression for these last 12 years we’ve shared together since she relocated from Florida to California. Over the last few years, Bear has endured debilitating bone on bone hip pain. She can now barely stand up on her own and has begun calling us in the middle of the night in agonizing pain. We are moving forward with a hip restoration on March 2nd followed by several weeks at a rehab. center. During this period, Bear will require 24/7 supervision and will need additional financial assistance moving forward. Michael and I are now supplementing her income to provide the care she needs.
I would like to welcome you to our kayaking adventure in Elkhorn Slough National Marine Estuary. The protected water of the Slough is an ideal place to observe some of California's finest coastal resources. Sea otters, harbor seals, sea lions and an array of birds can be seen at close range. With 90% of California's wetlands loss to development, Elkhorn Slough offers a special opportunity to observe a biologically rich and critically endangered habitat
Looking for a place to stay? Here are a few suggestions: Places to Stay
Plan on meeting at the public boat launch ramp in North Moss Landing Harbor just behind Monterey Bay Kayaks (2360 Hwy One) at 9:30am on
June 28th. We will be using double sea kayaks which are very stable and easy to use. No previous kayaking experience is necessary.
We expect to be back at the launch area by 1:30pm and wrapping up by 2:00pm.
As far as things to bring, here are a few suggestions I can offer:
* Dress in layers -- Fleece, capilene, silk or wool are good insulators; bring a warm top that can be put on if cool weather (fog) approaches; a sweatshirt is adequate.
* Long pants or shorts- sweat pants that can be rolled up work well; an outer shell of nylon material dries quickly, but jeans get soggy and are not recommended.
* Wind breaker or paddling jacket
* Footgear - tennis shoes, Teva type sandals or wet suit booties -- any style is fine; they will get wet as you wade in to launch your boat.
* Hat with visor for sun protection
* Water bottle-nondisposable if possible
* Lunch in a compact lunch bag--take in boat with you
* Sunscreen and lip balm
* Sun glasses (or prescription glasses) attached with a leash
* Binoculars and camera in waterproof bag ( use at your own risk); disposable cameras work well.
* Small, compact daypack or drybag (optional)
* Change of clothes for ride home to be left in car
That covers the logistics for your Seals and Sea Otter Watch for Women! We will offer a reschedule date if the trip is cancelled due to inclement weather ( high winds or rain; not light mist or fog). Release forms will be discussed and signed before launching our boats. We are looking forward to our adventure together in the Slough!
Kim Powell, MRPA
Owner, Operator & Naturalist
Blue Water Ventures
phone & fax: 831-459-8548
127 Mason St., Santa Cruz, CA 95060
DIRECTIONS TO ELKHORN SLOUGH (NORTH MOSS LANDING HARBOR)
FROM SANTA CRUZ
* TAKE HIGHWAY 1 SOUTH TOWARDS MONTEREY
* TURN RIGHT AT BAJA POTTERY/ MONTEREY BAY KAYAKS 2360 HIGHWAY ONE
you will pass Moss Landing State Beach, then Kayak Connection; it takes about 30 minutes from Santa Cruz; this right turn takes you into Moss Landing North Harbor.
* MOSS LANDING NORTH HARBOR LAUNCH RAMP
The public boat launch area is behind Monterey Bay Kayaks (2360 Highway One); park behind MBK in the public boat launch area. When you arrive, you will need to pay your $8 parking fee. Your Blue Water Ventures guides will have your parking permits to leave in your car. You will need $8 in cash when you check in with them.
We will be unloading the trailer from a black toyota sequoia at the boat ramp directly behind Monterey Bay Kayaks in North Moss Landing Harbor.
as you're heading south you'll see the Moss Landing power stacks on the left side of the highway; if you go over the bridge and pass these stacks you've gone too far.
Kim can be reached on her cell phone on the day of the trip at: 831-345-2417