Marine Mammals of Cannery Row During Gray Whale Migration
$80 adults, $60 for youth 13-17 years old
January 17th 9:30am-1:30pm
From Cannery Row, kayak the biologically rich Monterey Bay. We'll search the flourishing kelp beds for marine mammals such as sea otters, harbor seals and sea lions. Migrating gray whales pass close to Cannery Row as they relocate from their Alaskan feeding grounds to the calving lagoons of Baja. Some kayaking experience required to explore open ocean conditions. No first time kayakers permitted.
T0 REGISTER: PLEASE VISIT OUR ONLINE CALENDAR
We are excited to offer an exciting day as we explore Monterey Bay National National Marine Sanctuary. Encompassing 5322 square miles of ocean, Monterey Bay supports one of the planet's most biologically diverse ecosystems. Our day on the water will take us above the canopy of a kelp forest as we look for some of its residents such as sea otters, harbor seals, sea lions and sea birds. We will paddle offshore scanning the water for migrating Gray Whales and pods of dolphins that are sometimes encountered off of Cannery Row.
As far as things to bring, here are a few suggestions I can offer:
* Dress in layers -- Fleece, capilene, silk or wool are good insulators; bring a warm top that can be put on if cool weather (fog) approaches; no cotton as it does not k keep you warm if damp
* Wind breaker or paddling jacket
* Footgear - tennis shoes, Teva type sandals or wet suit booties -- any style is fine; they will get wet as you wade in to launch your boat.
* Hat with visor for sun protection
* Water bottle
* Snack in a compact lunch bag take in boat with you
* Sunscreen and lip balm
* Sun glasses (or prescription glasses) attached with a leash
* Binoculars and camera in waterproof bag ( use at your own risk);
* Small, compact day pack (optional)
* Change of clothes for ride home to be left in car
* Face Mask and personal hand sanitizer
That covers the logistics for your Cannery Row by Kayak. A full refund will be given if the trip is cancelled due to inclement weather ( high winds or rain; not light mist or fog). Release forms will be discussed and signed before launching our boats. We are looking forward to our adventure together on the water! Refunds are given when cancellations are made at least 10 days in advance of trip date.
We are excited to share this adventure with you!