Halloween Blue Moon Paddle~Elkhorn Slough $70 adults $50 kids ages 8-17 years of age
October 30th 3:30pm-7:00pm
Once in a blue moon does a blue moon fall on Halloween! Costumes encouraged!
We hope you will join as we paddle among sea otter pups, seals and all other wildlife wonders of the Slough. Leaving from Moss Landing, we'll have a leisurely paddle through the protected waterway. Fall birding is excellent with many species arriving into the slough to feast in the mud flats. A nearly Full Moon will be rising over water adding to the magic of the experience. Beginners welcomed ages 8 and above with an adult ,
Prize for best nature themed costume!
T0 REGISTER: PLEASE VISIT OUR ONLINE CALENDAR
Dear Sea Kayakers:
I would like to welcome you to our kayaking adventure in Elkhorn Slough National Marine Estuary. The protected water of the Slough is an ideal place to observe some of California's finest coastal resources. Sea otters, harbor seals, sea lions and an array of birds can be seen at close range. With 90% of California's wetlands loss to development, Elkhorn Slough offers a special opportunity to observe a biologically rich and critically endangered habitat.
Plan on meeting at the public boat launch ramp in North Moss Landing Harbor just behind Monterey Bay Kayaks (2360 Hwy One) at 3:30pm on
October 30th. We will be using double sea kayaks which are very stable and easy to use. No previous kayaking experience is necessary.
We expect to be back at the launch area by 7:00pm.
As far as things to bring, here are a few suggestions I can offer:
* Face Mask and personal hand sanitizer.
* Dress in layers -- Fleece, capilene, silk or wool are good insulators; bring a warm top that can be put on if cool weather (fog) approaches; a sweatshirt is adequate.
* Long pants or shorts- sweat pants that can be rolled up work well; an outer shell of nylon material dries quickly, but jeans get soggy and are not recommended.
* Wind breaker or paddling jacket
* Footgear - tennis shoes, Teva type sandals or wet suit booties -- any style is fine; they will get wet as you wade in to launch your boat.
* Hat with visor for sun protection
* Water bottle
* Snack in a compact lunch bag take in boat with you
* Sunscreen and lip balm
* Sun glasses (or prescription glasses) attached with a leash
* Binoculars and camera in waterproof bag ( use at your own risk);
* Small, compact day pack (optional)
* Change of clothes for ride home to be left in car
* Flashlight or headlamp
That covers the logistics for your Halloween Blue Moon Paddle. A full refund will be given if the trip is cancelled due to inclement weather ( high winds or rain; not light mist or fog). Release forms will be discussed and signed before launching our boats. We are looking forward to our adventure together in the Slough! Refunds are given when cancellations are made at least 10 days in advance of trip date.
Kim Powell, MRPA
Owner, Operator & Naturalist
Blue Water Ventures
phone & fax: 831-459-8548
127 Mason St., Santa Cruz, CA 95060
DIRECTIONS TO ELKHORN SLOUGH (NORTH MOSS LANDING HARBOR)
FROM SANTA CRUZ
* TAKE HIGHWAY 1 SOUTH TOWARDS MONTEREY
* TURN RIGHT AT BAJA POTTERY/ MONTEREY BAY KAYAKS 2690 HIGHWAY ONE
you will pass Moss Landing State Beach, then Kayak Connection; it takes about 30 minutes from Santa Cruz; this right turn takes you into Moss Landing North Harbor.
* MOSS LANDING NORTH HARBOR LAUNCH RAMP
The public boat launch area is behind Monterey Bay Kayaks (2360 Highway One); park behind MBK in the public boat launch area. When you arrive, you will need to pay your $8 parking fee. Your Blue Water Ventures guides will have your parking permits to leave in your car. You will need $8 cash when you check in with them.
We will be unloading the trailer from a blue toyota sequoia at the boat ramp directly behind Monterey Bay Kayaks in North Moss Landing Harbor.
as you're heading south you'll see the Moss Landing power stacks on the left side of the highway; if you go over the bridge and pass these stacks you've gone too far.
Kim can be reached on her cell phone on the day of the trip at: 831-345-2417