Pillar Point Harbor just north of Half Moon Bay is a wonderful coastal resource especially for San Francisco and East Bay Schools. Our field trip will include kayaking among an array of migratory birds, Fishing fleets and harbor seals. We will kayak across the protected harbor and explore the tidepools adjacent to Fitzgerald Marine Reserve. Activities may include examining a bone box, pulling a seine net or a tidepool study.
10:00am-2:30pm $52 per student weekdays or $55 weekends
Dear Students, Parents and Teachers;
I would like to welcome you to our Naturalist-Led Kayaking Field Trip!
Launching from Pillar Point Harbor, we’ll have a leisurely paddle through the protected and scenic harbor. Cormorants, pelicans, terns and harbor seals join us for our naturalist-led field trip. Across the harbor we can beachcomb, explore tidepools and have a shore lunch before paddling back. A very popular activity with students is pulling a large seine net to examine our catch and continue our discussion of animal adaptations. Teachers, please feel free to call us to discuss curriculum ideas in greater detail.
The cost of your field trip is $52 per person weekdays and $55 per person weekends with a complimentary trip for one teacher chaperone. Please send one check (either from the school or teacher chaperone) 7 days before your trip dates to: BWV, 127 Mason Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95060. If more students sign up after your check has been sent, they may bring cash on the morning of the trip. A completed waiver is required by all.
Tandem style closed deck sea kayaks are used which are very stable and easy to paddle. This trip is appropriate for beginners and/or people intrigued by the natural history of our coast. Completed waiver is required by all kayakers.
Plan on meeting at the Pillar Point Public Launch Ramp in El Granada, just a few miles north of Half Moon Bay on ______ at 10:00am. We will be off the water by 2:30pm and driving away by 3:00pm. We can easily adjust departure times to your schedule needs.
Directions to Launch Ramp
From Highway 92 in Half Moon Bay, head north on Highway One and take a left onto Capsitrano Road which is across the street from the Monster Chef Restaurant in El Granada ( address is 10151 Cabrillo Hwy N, Half Moon Bay, CA 94019).
Take your first left into Pillar Point Harbor and continue straight through one stop sign to the public launch area at the very end of the road. You will pass by Half Moon Bay Kayak Company on your right, keep going.
You may check in with us first and then park your car on the bluffs above the harbor in the public parking area for boaters.
As far as things to bring, here are a few suggestions I can offer:
* Dress in layers — Fleece, capilene, silk or wool are good insulators; bring a warm top that can be put on if cool weather (fog) approaches; a sweatshirt is adequate.
* Long pants – sweat pants that can be rolled up work well; nylon material dries quickly, and is good , but jeans get soggy and are not recommended.
* Wind breaker or paddling jacket
* Footgear – tennis shoes, Teva type sandals or wet suit booties — any style is fine; they will get wet as you wade into the water to launch your boat
* Hat with visor for sun protection
* Water bottle-nondisposable please
* Lunch in a compact lunch bag –take in boat with you
* Sunscreen and lip balm
* Sun glasses (or prescription glasses) attached with a leash
* Binoculars and camera in waterproof bag (use at your own risk and optional)
* Small, compact day pack (optional)
* Change of clothes and towel for ride home to be left in car
* Face mask and Personal Hand Sanitizer
That covers the logistics for our Kayaking field trip!
Kim Powell, MRPA
Owner, Operator & Naturalist
Blue Water Ventures
phone & fax: 831-459-8548
127 Mason St., Santa Cruz, CA 95060